|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa|
Media, Communications & Writing
eNCA: SOUTH AFRICA'S MOST WATCHED TV NEWS CHANNEL. eNCA is South Africa’s most trusted independent TV and online news brand. It launched on June 1st, 2008 to become the country’s first 24-hour television news service.
Reporting to Supervisor: Sub-Editing
The incumbent would be responsible for ensuring that news scripts, on-air graphics, boards and crawlers are succinct, accurate and relevant as well as factually correct, contextual, engaging and in line with eNCA`s writing style and editorial policy.
Key Performance Areas:
- Sub-editing all eNCA content - scripts, graphics, lives, boards and crawlers.
- Ensuring content is succinct, factually accurate, contextual, relevant, engaging, conversational, and in line with eNCAs writing style.
- Thoroughly check scripts and correct errors, inconsistencies and omissions.
- Maintain high standards of spelling and grammar.
- Assisting in updating eNCA style guide.
- Liaising with producers, helping them refine story angles and content.
- Attending diary meetings, providing input, story ideas, and feedback.
- Mentoring and train reporters and desk producers
- Bulletin Content
- Assisting programme production teams check content in bulletin rundowns.
- Write and voice local and international stories, if necessary
- Sub-editing headlines and promos.
- Help re-angle stories regularly.
- Reviewing scripts and on-screen text in bulletins.
- Checking wire services and news feeds for breaking news.
- Help decide how best to visually illustrate stories
Performance will only be satisfactory when:
1.eNCA scripts, graphics, lives and crawlers are checked and subbed quickly, and to a professional and acceptable standard according to the eNCA writing style. The sub-edited content must be succinct, factually accurate and conversational, and of a high UK English spelling and grammatical standard.
2.Communicate respectfully and professionally with the reporter and or writer, helping them to refine angles and treatment of the story.
3.Attend daily diary meetings, providing input on content, story ideas, angles.
4.Adequate mentoring and training of reporters and producers, in order to improve efficiency and script writing.
5.Providing assistance to the programme teams by checking and sub-editing content, including scripts, headlines, promos, graphics, crawlers, etc. Also helping to re-angle stories, and regularly checking wire services and news feeds for breaking news and other developments.
Job Functions Copywriting,Editing,Media
Industries Broadcasting / Transmitting,Media
Education: Matric – Degree in Journalism or Media Studies
Experience: 5 year relevant experience
Specific Professional Competencies:
- Time management
- Managing relationships
- Problem solving skills
- Planning skills
- Organising skills
- Change management skills
- Decision-making skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Coaching skills
- Mentoring skills
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Facilitation skills
- Coping under pressure
- Conflict handling skills
Interested candidates can send their CV