|Location||Hyde Park, Hyde Park, South Africa|
Media, Communications & Writing
eNCA: SOUTH AFRICA'S MOST WATCHED TV NEWS CHANNEL. eNCA is South Africa’s most trusted independent TV and online news brand. It launched on June 1st, 2008 to become the country’s first 24-hour television news service.
Reporting to Operations Manager.
The purpose of this role is to ensure that cameras and associated equipment are rigged and ready for the required Shoot.
To operate one of several cameras capturing well framed images at the same time (multi-camera shoots), which involves receiving camera directions (usually over a headset) from the director, who is based in a ‘gallery’ (production area) away from the location or set.
Assisting with moving sets to prepare for different shows.
Job Functions Operator,Technical
Industries Broadcasting / Transmitting,Media
- Power up and Position cameras to correct positions as per show requirements
- Check that all parts of the camera are in good working order and that all settings are correct
- Make sure that cables are neatly arranged.
- Check that autocue is working and is displaying the correct font size and brightness
- Make sure that the lens and the autocue glass are clean.
- If need cleaning inform engineering to carry the work.
- Check that pan and tilt locks are functioning.
- Position and frame for white balance under the same lighting condition for each show
- Communicate with vision control to commence white balance.
- Where necessary adjust back focus using the back focus chart ensuring accurate focal point
- Check that communication with control room is established and perfect.
- Wear headsets to communicate with other operators in the gallery during the broadcast.
- Ensure that the comms pack volume is not too loud to bleed on air.
- Frame and compose shots and perform camera moves with precision and speed
- Move and manipulate Tripods, Pedestals to achieve required shots
- Take direction and work as part of a team, particularly on multi-camera shoots.
- Carry out instructions with great accuracy and attention to detail
- Be cognizant of what is happening on set and react accordingly.
- Work with the director to produce the best product.
- Stand in for Floor Manager when needed.
- Move sets when necessary and position desk and props.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Ability to work in and to demonstrate a flexible approach in a fast changing and sometimes pressurized environment, working to high standards and tight deadlines
- Demonstrates craft and operational aptitude alongside great team-working whilst taking personal responsibility to get things done and content to air.
- Prepared to embrace a learning environment - eager to seek out opportunities to expand knowledge of the role through both formal training and other experiences.
- Effective communicator - interprets sympathetically the requirements of programme-makers and is able to tactfully suggest alternatives.
- Excellent team worker - participates fully in contributing to the team’s decisions; flexible and proactive in taking on the roles required.
- Demonstrates awareness of the business and the pressures on each individual to be as cost-effective as possible.
- Strives to provide the highest quality of work, both artistically and technically, whilst understanding and working within the limits imposed by available finance, resources and deadlines.
- Demonstrable interest in programme output.
Education: Television and Film Qualification
Experience: 3 years relevant experience
Specific Professional Competencies:
- The ability to frame and compose shots;
- The ability to perform camera moves accurately;
- Understand the technical specifications required in the different formats from SD to HD and all varieties of these formats
- Interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good colour vision
- Excellent hand – eye coordination
- The capacity to multi-task and take direction from others;
- Team working skills and the ability to lead and motivate others;
- Tact and diplomacy;
- The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines;
- Flexibility, creativity and patience;
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to work long hours
Interested candidates can send their CV