|Location||Durban, South Africa|
Accounting & Finance
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a global health nonprofit that makes foundational changes to health systems to protect people from diseases and improve their health. MSH collaborates with local partners, from the Ministry to the community, to strengthen and complement existing health systems. Since 1971, MSH has worked in more than 150 countries to help ensure sustainable, resilient, and equitable access to quality health care around the globe.
The Senior Accountant’s main responsibility is safeguarding the assets of Management Sciences for Health and ultimately the donors against fraud, loss or misuse and to ensure proper documentation and processing of the finances of the organization. The Senior Accountant is primarily responsible for, but is not limited to, payment review for activities and operations, uploading payments into the system (s), petty cash handling, ensure proper record keeping, VAT reporting, activity advance reconciliations, and supporting the Accounting Manager in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department. The Senior Accountant is aware of and adheres to MSH’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- Ensures that funds expended in the country is done in accordance with “Generally Accepted Accounting Principles”, MSH policy, donor regulations and requirements, Ugandan law, standard operating procedures, and best business practices.
- Ensures the expeditious transfer and disbursement of funds to sub grantees and sub contractors and financial reporting of expenditures.
- Record all financial transactions into the approved MSH field expense accounting system (currently QuickBooks). Upload monthly reports for the review of the Accounting Manager each month.
- Prepare payments promptly and vendor accounts reconciled monthly.
- Prepare and process all Payment Vouchers, General Journals and Deposit Vouchers ensuring that the documents are legal and authentic and that all relevant and adequate support documentation is attached.
- Review & liquidate all advances. Review every financial transaction ensuring proper approval by a budget-holder signatory, is properly documented, files are complete and demonstrates evidence of compliance with MSH policy, donor regulations, Ugandan law, and standard operating procedures. Prepare advance analysis as required
- Ensure that all costs and travels have adequate prior authorization and approval prior to payment remittance. Follow up all discrepancies identified.
- Prepare documentation required for quarterly and annual VAT claims and reports.
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Prepare Mobile Money payments in an efficient and timely manner.
- Conduct & document spot checks for trainings.
- Ensure that financial documents are properly filed both digitally & in hard copies and always kept safely.
- Receive, and liquidate petty cash promptly in accordance with MSH policies.
- Review staff timesheets received by month end, paying particular attention to proper billing for each project.
- Liaise with technical teams and compile project funds projection (s) for each month
- Process withholding tax payments & prepare withholding tax certificates for all appropriate payments and distribute these accordingly.
- Ensures that all payments for purchases of goods and services are made according to MSH regulations, and that actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in the Procurement Policy Guidelines and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time
- A degree in Business Administration or equivalent accounting qualifications and full professional qualifications in CPA or ACCA is an added advantage;
- At least 6 years’ experience in implementing accounting functions.
- Capacity to deal with multi-tasks and be able to adhere to tight deadlines, and excellent time management skills;
- A strong accounting experience, and experience in dealing with complex budgets, is an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience to provide technical assistance to organization and conduct trainings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English