|Location||Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for Southern Africa in Pretoria, the direct supervision of the SAMM Regional Project Coordinator; and in close coordination with the Regional Thematic Specialist for Migrant Protection and Assistance and Senior Labour Mobility and Human Development Specialist in Pretoria and the Migration Research Division at IOM Headquarters and the Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) in Berlin, the successful candidate will be responsible for research and knowledge production undertaken by IOM Regional Office for Southern Africa in the context of the Southern African Migration Management (SAMM) project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Undertake, develop and support policy-relevant research on migration and contribute to IOM’s regular research publications, including through conducting field research, on behalf of the Regional Migration Data Hub (RMDHub) for Southern Africa. Provide support and guidance for both the Regional and Country Offices in Southern Africa in implementing projects and activities with research and knowledge production components.
Act as a focal point for the SAMM project-related and other IOM research and data activities of both the Regional and Country Offices in Southern Africa with a view to responding to external and internal research queries.
Provide inputs and support for the development of policy-relevant research and other relevant activities on migration in the context of the Regional Migration Data Hub for Southern Africa (RMDHub).
Contribute to the development of an outreach strategy to secure potential contributors and build a community of researchers, academics, policymakers, practitioners and other interested parties working on migration issues related to the Southern African region.
Page 2 / 4
In collaboration with the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) unit, coordinate regional Flow Monitoring (FM) activities aimed at collecting and analysing data at key area of transit in the Southern African region. Assist the DTM unit with quantitative and qualitative research activities relating to humanitarian and displacement situations in the region.
Facilitate the organization and implementation of national and regional training on migration data collection and research methods, including regarding the development and consolidation of migration data harmonization guidelines.
Maintain close working relations with governmental research institution counterparts.
Organize appropriate trainings and workshops with Implementing Partners and staff on issues related to research with an aim to introduce and strengthen understanding of the importance of research.
Draft project and regular reports and identified sections of mission policy and strategy documents as well as mission public information materials.
With a focus on research and knowledge production, assist in the identification of new programme/project possibilities consistent with expressed Government needs and IOM’s mandate and strategy in Southern Africa; on this basis, assist in the formulation/development of project proposals.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience or
- University degree in the above field of study with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in research, in particular quantitative and qualitative methods;
- Excellent drafting and editing skills;
- Experience in drafting policy briefs;
- Experience managing research projects, working with consultants and content editing;
- Good knowledge of, and previous experience working on, migration issues in the Southern African region;
- Experience producing visibility materials, publications, reports and other documents;
- Experience working with statistical software, such as SPSS or STATA, and databases is a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrated drafting skills;
- Good understanding of regional migration trends and dynamics.
Page 3 / 4
Fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French or Portuguese is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external applicants if they meet the minimum requirements.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and obtains nationality ID or valid residency/work permit.
How to apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID and Complete IOM Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from this website: https://southafrica.iom.int/vacancy ) to [email protected]
When you send your application, please specify the Vacancy reference number i.e. VNSARO2021/03 on the subject line of your email.