|Location||Durban, Durban, South Africa|
Program Officer - Education
Save the Children International is currently recruiting for Program Officers – Education, to be based in multiple locations. The Program Officers will be responsible for planning and ensuring quality and timely implementation of Basic Education (BE) core program within the designated district/ Sub-Counties. He/she will assist the Project Coordinator in managing the Basic Education intervention within the Baana Programme. He or she is expected to implement the BE program in a manner that promotes integrated programming with other projects of the Baana Programme and cross cutting themes such as gender, inclusion, child protection and rights programming. The Job Holder is also expected to liaise with implementing partners, provide input into basic education programme design, monitoring implementation progress; write reports, facilitate project implementation meetings and workshops and maintain relationships with key education and program stakeholders in the district. He/she should implement the BE project in a manner that fosters networking and collaboration with local government education officials, (i.e Community Development Officer, Centre Coordinating Tutors, HESS), local capacity strengthening (i.e Head Teachers, School Management Committees, Parent Teacher Association), meaningful active participation of children, accountability (internal and external to Save the Children).
To be successful for this role, you will have/bring the following:
- Minimum of a Degree in Education preferably in Teacher education is essential.
- At least 3 years of progressive working experience in planning and implementing Education programmes with INGOs.
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in primary schools or as a Tutor in Primary Teachers’ College.
- Must be willing to be based in the field; with a direct field time presence of 80% of working time.
- Experience of working with the Local Government, and local partners with focus on improving the learning environments is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Ability to ride Honda XL-125 Motorcycles and in possession of a valid Class A riding license is an added advantage.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize children’s rights and ensure their voices are heard. We are working towards 3 breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree