|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa|
Media, Communications & Writing
YFM is a "Youth" radio station in Johannesburg, South Africa. Established in 1997, the station is formatted to mostly play urban music genres such as Kwaito, Hip Hop, and R&B along with a minority of its airtime being dedicated to talk shows.
Reporting to the News Editor.
The purpose of this role is to source, research, document, write, and present the news in an honest, ethical, and unbiased way. This role will be responsible for coaching and training all other junior staff within the news room. As an Anchor this role would require you to present the news professionally on-air.
Job Functions Journalist
Industries Broadcasting / Transmitting,Media
1.Source and Generate News worthy content for broadcast.
2.Present news on-air flawlessly and without errors.
3.Exercising Editorial Judgment and advising and coaching News Team.
4.Keep abreast with all current global and local affairs, which will include: Entertainment, sport, currents affairs, community etc.
5.Generate Ideas for Features and/or other.
Key Performance Indicators:
1.Follow editorial guidelines i.e. exclusive pieces, KYS and voicers.
2.Generating ideas for stories and features and following leads from news agencies, the police, the public, press conference and other sources.
3.Pitching Ideas to the editor.
4.Researching and collating evidence and information to support a story using relevant information sources such as the internet, archives’, databases, etc.
5.Writing and editing Scripts for bulletins, headlines and reports.
6.Exercising editorial judgment on the best angle to approach story from.
7.Preparing and presenting material “on-air” for both pre-recorded and live pieces.
8.Identifying potential interviewees, briefing them, preparing interview questions and conducting both live and recorded interviews.
9.Deciding on the running order for bulletins and making any necessary changes during broadcast.
10.Developing and maintaining contacts and assuming a public relation role.
11.Conduct field reporting which will require travelling.
12.Ensure that the attached requirements are constantly and consistently met without error and maintaining professionalism at all times.
13.Keep abreast with all breaking news both global and local.
14.Managing News Desk as and when required.
15.Carry out any other reasonable task as instructed by manager and/or MD.
Education: A recognised journalism qualification or equivalent experience
Experience: + 3 Years’ experience as a Journalist / Reporter preferably from a radio medium. Excellent Verbal and written communication skills. Must be proficient and highly Knowledgeable on Editorial laws.
Language: Business English
Specific Professional Competencies:
- Able to cut sound and place calls
- Proficiency with newsroom system
- Excellent Mic technique
- Conduct out and in studio interviews
- Team player
- Couching and mentoring all junior staff
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be willing to travel as and when required
- This position will require that you be available 24/7 pending requirements of job and business requirements.
- This position will be shift based and assigned accordingly by the News Editor.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Analytical and Detail Orientation
- Strong Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Written and Verbal Communication
- Excellent Interviewing Skills
- Highly Knowledgeable on Editorial Laws
- Solutions and Ideas Driven
Values and Behaviors:
- Deadline driven
- Must be able to multitask
- Quality focus on delivered work
- Innovative and Creative
- Self-motivated and energetic
Interested candidates can send their CVs