|Location||Pretoria, South Africa|
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of theMigration Health Officer (MHO), the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Pretoria, South Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- High school Diploma/Certificate in Nursing with five years of relevant clinical experience with relevant trainings or
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing with three years of relevant clinical experience
- Valid professional license to practice nursing in South Africa
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Work experience with international Organizations is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
Fluency in English is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity & transparency - Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Professionalism - Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Teamwork - Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Delivering Results - Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Managing and sharing knowledge - Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Communication - Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, reference checks and residence/work permit and security clearances.
Interested candidates can send their CV