|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
UCT is an inclusive and engaged research-intensive African university that inspires creativity through outstanding
achievements in learning, discovery and citizenship; enhancing the lives of its students and staff, advancing a more
equitable and sustainable social order, and influencing the global higher education landscape.
The College of Accounting is one of the largest departments in UCT’s Faculty of Commerce. The College’s vision is
to be a centre of excellence in professional accounting education and its highly regarded Chartered Accountant (CA
(SA)) programmes are accredited by the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
The College of Accounting invites applications from suitably professionally qualified persons who wish to make an
impactful contribution to its dynamic team for appointment(s) to permanent full-time post(s) as a Lecturer or Senior
Lecturer in the College in Auditing or Financial Reporting or Management Accounting and Finance. The College wishes
to make the appointment as soon as possible.
Requirements for the position of Lecturer:
- Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) or comparable professional accounting
designation (or the successful candidate will be eligible to register as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) when
the appointment commences).
Requirements for the position of Senior Lecturer:
- Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) and a relevant Master’s degree.
- Developing a national reputation in the field, making some contributions to knowledge of quality. Evidence might
typically include papers in local or international academic journals, citations, and review, and/or the completion
of a major research monograph.
- Demonstrable relevant teaching experience and evidence of good teaching practice at an undergraduate and/or
postgraduate level on a SAICA accredited programme. Evidence might typically include curriculum design,
creation of learning materials, course oversight, postgraduate supervision, mentoring of junior staff members in
teaching roles, and/or student testimonials.
- Experience in academic administration and/or leadership roles at course, departmental, faculty, and/or university
- Contributions, based on academic skills, to bodies outside their university.
The following will be to the candidate’s advantage:
For appointment at Lecturer Level:
- Prior teaching experience.
For appointment at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer Level:
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Practical business experience.
Responsibilities at the Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level include:
- Teach at an undergraduate and/or postgraduate level on a SAICA accredited programme.
- Engage in research and scholarship that benefits the College and the accounting profession.
- Perform related academic administrative tasks at a College, Faculty and University level.
- Participate in College initiatives, especially those that meet the College’s transformation objectives.
Responsibilities at the Senior Lecturer level include:
- Convene at least one course or programme at an undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Academic leadership.
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits, at the respective levels are as follows:
- Lecturer : R 765 575 (excluding a scarcity allowance)
- Senior Lecturer : R 921 012 (excluding a scarcity allowance)
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at [email protected]
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc);
- A letter of motivation, highlighting your teaching philosophy (lecturer), as well as your research interest; and
demonstration of academic leadership (senior lecturer); and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).