|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
As one of the largest and most diverse tertiary music institutions in South Africa, the South African College of Music pursues a wide range of musical activities. Besides the flourishing opera school, there is a strong practical tradition in the field of African and World music, Jazz and Western music performance as well as departments in musicology, composition, music education and music technology.
We are seeking to appoint on 1 January 2022 a Lecturer in Vocal Studies with an emerging track record in teaching the vocal repertoire in the Western music tradition. The successful applicant will form part of a team of lecturers dedicated to the teaching of all aspects of the theory and practice of performance of Western music at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- MMus in performance (vocal studies, Western tradition), or PGDip in Music Performance (vocal
studies,Western tradition), or equivalent professional credentials;
- An active performing career, showing performance fluency in German, French, and Italian
- Experience of undergraduate teaching, both practical and theoretical;
- Versatility and knowledge of the standard repertoire in all fields of vocal performance in the Western
tradition (opera, operetta, art song and oratorio).
- African or Afrikaans repertoire
- Keyboard skills as well as a specialisation and in-depth knowledge of the repertoire in one field of vocal
performance in the Western tradition (opera, operetta, art song or oratorio) would be an advantage.
- Showing additional performance fluency in an African Language
- Teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the areas of practical studies, vocal pedagogy and
- Administrative duties.
The annual cost of employment at lecturer level for 2021, including benefits is R382 787
To apply, please e-mail the documents below in a single pdf file to Mr Ian Petersen @ [email protected]
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)