|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
The Department of Philosophy is seeking to make an appointment at Lecturer level (US equivalent of Assistant Professor). The Department currently has seven permanent academics all working mainly within the analytic tradition, but with a wide span of philosophical interests. At undergraduate level it provides a major in the discipline and contributes service teaching in the Faculties of Commerce and Health Sciences.
The post-graduate provision includes an honours programme and taught masters programme and research degrees at masters and doctoral level. PPE is an offered at undergraduate, honours and masters level.
It is hoped that the successful candidate for this permanent post will commence duties by January 2022 or as soon
as possible thereafter.
Requirements for the job:
- Research expertise and proven ability to teach in at least one of the following areas: Metaphysics,
Epistemology or the Philosophy of Social Science. We are open to a broad range of approaches to issues in
these areas of philosophy, including especially those from within African Philosophy.
- A doctorate in philosophy prior to taking up the post
The following will be advantageous:
- Experience of undergraduate lecturing, including lecturing to large classes
- Experience of post-graduate teaching and supervision
- A record of active research and publication
The successful candidate will be expected to undertake research and to teach both undergraduate and
postgraduate (Honours/Masters) courses, provide supervision for postgraduate (Masters and Doctoral)
dissertations, participate in departmental academic activities, and take some administrative responsibility. The
usual teaching load is one undergraduate course per semester, one postgraduate course per year in addition to
supervision of postgraduate students.
Interested candidates can send their CV
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ian Petersen
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A writing sample of not more than 6000 words