|Location||Bryanston, Pretoria, South Africa|
Accounting & Finance
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) was established to provide end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to operating entities across the Secretariat, including departments, offices away from headquarters, peace operations, and regional commissions.
• Guides, trains, and supervises general service and professional staff in the function.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a written assessment followed by a
Competency Based Interview
• This post is funded for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension.
• The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
• Staff Members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures
Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in analyzing data and preparing management reports
Knowledge of French is an advantage.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional certification in Accounting or Finance is desirable.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field is required.
• Manages a complete financial operation, encompassing a wide variety of funding sources, a large volume of transactions, and extensive dispersed activities.
• Analyzes accounts, reviews/prepares regular financial reports. Proposes/implements solutions with respect to problem transactions and irregularities.
• Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, finance, budget, administration