|Location||East London, East London, South Africa|
The LWF Uganda Program is looking for qualified and experienced persons to fill the following position;
As a key member of the Core Management Team (CMT), the Finance Manager is responsible for providing strategic financial management leadership and support the implementation of financial policies to ensure effective resource utilization and safeguarding of LWF assets. He/she is responsible for having in place efficient and effective management of LWF cash flows, managing the end-of-period procedures, ensuring the generation of periodic financial reports, budgeting & budget control, upholding internal controls, Managing the SAGE accounting System and technical supervision of all staff in the finance unit.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and manage day-to-day accounting functions including data entry, regular cash counts, bank reconciliation and timely submission of financial reports to CMT, Global HQ and donors.
- Ensure monthly transactions are entered in the General Ledger accurately and on a timely basis
- Act as a cheque signatory taking primary responsibility for checking the validity and account coding of payments
- Approve advances for field activity and staff travel, ensuring proper process for disbursement of funds, correct documentation and the settlement of advances in a timely manner.
- Maintaining the integrity of the balance sheet by checking and validating: a) monthly bank reconciliations, following up outstanding items b) purchase ledger reconciliations c) staff advances and other debtors d) sundry creditors and all other creditors e) check the fixed assets register is up to date monthly
- Approve the monthly payroll, ensuring direct transfer to staff salary accounts and remitting the payroll deductions to the correct government authorities;
- Work with the Deputy Finance Manager to improve financial systems in the Country office, recommending change as part of the global LWF improvement to provide timely and appropriate financial information to LWF’s Budget Holders and donors.
- Submit the monthly report to the Global office in line with LWF monthly reporting checklist and timetable
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive financial management strategy that allows the Country Program to react the requirement of LWF and donors' policies.
- Ensure and prepare timely donor reports for funding agencies and partners such as the European Union (EU and ECHO), United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), USAID, etc are prepared in accordance to donor requirements and terms of contracts; submit reports to the Country Representative for review prior to submitting to the donor.
- Participate in annual budget preparation and perform Budget Follow Ups, Monthly cash flow projections, Co-funding setup and Budget amendments for LWF Program. Ensure monthly management accounts are reviewed and variances are acted on by budget holders; report to the CMT on the variances and the corrective action that will be taken.
- Make regular visits to the field offices, project sites and partners to ensure quality in all aspects of finance management
Legal, security and Risk Management
- Undertake periodic financial and programmatic risk assessment while identifying current and potential exposure to risks across LWF programmes as well as developing an overall risk management strategy.
- Coordinate with auditors to complete all the required internal/external statutory audits, perform regular reviews of audit reports and follow up on the implementation of audit recommendations. Manage liquidity by ensuring LWF Uganda has adequate cash flow at any one time.
- Conduct spot checks in the head and field offices to ensure internal controls are working and; Perform Budget Vs Actual analysis on monthly basis and advice management of areas of red flag on over/underwent.
- Monitor the performance of all projects on a monthly basis and ensure all high-risk items are brought to management attention within shortest time possible, ensure projects are closed within shortest time possible.
- Regularly review all legal contracts to ensure LWF’s financial commitments are met
- Ensure, in conjunction with Country Representative and Core Management Team, compliance with all local legal requirements, including tax, pensions and insurance
- Identify and assess risks facing the LWF Program and develop mitigation strategies along with the Core Management Team.
- Set the objectives for Finance staff in coordination with the Country Representative and carry out performance appraisals at regular intervals and at least annually.
- Actively support and motivate the local finance and technical teams
- Agree with the Support Services Coordinator on adequate capacity and human resource in the LWF Finance team.
- Ensure that time sheets are completed by all staff on a monthly basis
- Coordinate the absence of finance staff to ensure all gaps are covered and handovers completed prior to any leave
Undertake other duties as assigned by the Country Representative and; Advise the Representative on all financial, administrative and legal matters.
- Significant senior level leadership and management experience in a large and complex international NGO in finance
- University degree in Accounting or its equivalent;
- A Masters in Finance or Business Administration is required;
- Professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA or CMA.
- Experience in financial reporting and knowledge of major donor guidelines including BPRM, UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, ECHO, EU; Proven experience in managing large budgets for multiple donors.
- Demonstrable experience in strategic management, results-based management in financial matters.
- Ability to present complex financial information in a succinct and compelling manner.
- At least eight (8) years relevant working experience in working for International NGOs in a humanitarian and development setting.
- Knowledge of International NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements.
- Strong team building skills, Organized and methodical. Independence, objectivity and integrity; Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment; Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
Knowledge and use of accounting software (Preferably SAGE)
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree