|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
The Properties & Services (P&S) Department at UCT is seeking to fill the post of Officer: Environmental within the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Division. The main purpose of this position is to provide a highly specialized professional service of support to the University, such that it will meet all its environmental legal requirements. The main focus of this specialized position is to ensure that a governance framework for Biosafety, Biorisk, and Hazardous Chemical Substances across UCT is implemented and monitored. The position will be expected to deal with various stakeholders; Faculty management, Academia; Technical staff and students. External engagement involves the Municipalities, Provincial and National Government agencies.
The successful incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of organized and documented programmes that include inventory control, auditing, risk management and surveillance in accordance with all applicable national and international legislation and regulations, including laboratory safety in teaching and learning and research as it relates to Biosafety, Biorisk, and Hazardous Chemicals Substances.
- NQF 7 in Environmental Management.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management; with at
least 2-3 years of exposure to laboratories with hazardous chemicals and biosafety regulatory compliance
- Have a knowledge of application for permits for working with human and animal pathogens. Must have hands-on
experience in conducting environmental audits.
- Maintain and update trends and analysis of waste management data.
- Auditing skills and presentation skills.
- Hands on experience in laboratory or industry entailing Occupational Health and Safety operating procedures in
the handling of hazardous chemicals and or biological hazardous agents.
- Knowledge of radioactive hazards.
- Knowledge or exposure to biosafety laboratories.
Reporting to the OHS Director, the responsibilities of this position will include:
- Ensuring that any incident involving hazardous materials are investigated immediately and appropriate reports are
provided to management.
- To represent OHS Division in Institutional Committees and Working Groups for example Biosafety Committee and
Hazardous Waste Management Committee.
- Ensure that policies and safe working procedures are in place for the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous
- Monitor the compliance of service providers who will be responsible for the removal of hazardous waste.
- Provide regular reports on compliance status, deviation, trends and analysis regarding handling, storage and
disposal of hazardous biological and chemical material including radioactive material.
The annual cost of employment for 2021 including benefits is between R 638 396 and R 751 052.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Mrs. Natasha Khan at [email protected]
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter (that speaks to the specific requirements of the position), and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).