|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
Admin & Office
We seek to attract a suitably experienced and qualified person to the post of Director: eResearch at the University of Cape
Town. The purpose of this position is to provide leadership in the creation of an environment for 21st century discovery at
UCT through the use of advanced computing and technology-enabled research practices. This will be achieved by partnering
with research groups to accelerate and transform research, connecting them to the most appropriate hardware, software and
services to sustain that capability.
- Master’s degree (NQF Level 9) in a relevant domain science.
- 15 years relevant experience, including at least 5 years in a senior managerial role in an academic environment.
- An understanding and knowledge of the research enterprise and current issues in eResearch, both locally and
- A demonstrable understanding of the diverse needs and challenges of researchers in different disciplines at the
- Evidence of published peer-reviewed research or equivalent outputs.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to manage a diverse cross-functional team.
Demonstrated evidence of success in writing and winning externally funded grants will be an advantage.
- Continuing to develop UCT's eResearch Centre to lead eResearch activities and practices.
- Facilitating researcher access to state-of-the-art research facilities and computational resources equipment
internally, regionally and internationally.
- Facilitating access to software, training, software development services and support services.
- Delivering efficiencies that save researchers time and money.
- Fostering collaborations in research disciplines; in trans- and interdisciplinary research collaborations; and across
research support departments, both internally and across institutions.
- Facilitating research data management and eScholarship.
- Managing change in eResearch practice and assisting emerging researchers in adopting new approaches.
- Strengthening support for research grant applications.
- Enabling opportunities for more research-engaged teaching.
- Providing leadership in eResearch nationally and internationally.
The employer offers a market related salary.
Note: Academic Partners has been appointed as the search firm assisting with this recruitment and could, where needed,
reach out to candidates for pre-screening.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents to Ms Genevieve Michel, Academic Partners’ Assessment Director, at
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc).
- A letter of motivation.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).