|Location||Pretoria, South Africa|
Admin & Office
The university seeks to appoint an exceptional professional with a proven track record in digital technologies, data and digital approaches, preferably in student education, research, innovation and ways of working. Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Digital Transformation (DVC: DT) is a member of the executive management team of the university. The remuneration package will be market-related.
- A PhD/ Doctorate Degree (NQF 10) in Computer Science / Information Technology /Information Systems.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in a senior management position will be preferable.
Key Performance Areas:
- The successful candidate will shape and facilitate the realisation of the overall strategic direction of the university on digital transformation, covering both the operations and the academic project of the university.
- They will implement the policies and strategies on digital transformation, as approved by the Council and, where appropriate, the Executive Management Committee (EMC) and Senate.
- The DVC: DT will provide expert leadership for all employees engaged in digital transformation and Chair the Digital Transformation Sub-committee of Senate, and ensure the prompt delivery of its priorities.
- The DVC: DT will promote innovation, the development and adoption of new and flexible modes of learning and the use of new and emerging educational technologies and open-source learning. S/He will oversee research into the digital transformation of higher education to provide an evidence base to support effective changes.
- The DVC: DT will manage the university's continuing professional development strategy through face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online professional education provision.
- The engendering of a culture of trust with all employees and students engaged in digital transformation, ensuring a focus on academic excellence and the principles of equality and inclusion, will also be one of the required duties of the DVC: DT.
- The DVC: DT will provide the university with up-to-date national and international insights, intelligence and understanding of critical issues in developing digital transformation of education and research.
- The DVC: DT will be required to respond to the 4IR and the wave of new technologies through comprehensive action plans.
- The incumbent of this role will advise the EMC, Senate and the Council on all matters relating to the digital transformation of the university, and the higher education sector, taking into account changes in the broader sectors and partnerships with other universities, organisations and businesses.
- S/He will ensure that students at the university receive an outstanding education and experience through effective use of digital technologies and digital approaches and by extending the use of blended, hybrid and online learning approaches.
- S/He will facilitate programmes to ensure that the university's research activities effectively use digital technologies, data and digital approaches to solve global challenges.
- DVC: DT will oversee the functioning of the Human Resources Management and Institutional Effectiveness Divisions of the University.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience and a passion for digital transformation of higher education in student education, global lifelong learning, and research and innovation.
- An in-depth understanding and experience of applied technology.
- Proven appreciation for the link between technology and societal transformation
- Proven leadership of transformation of higher education using digital technologies, data and digital approaches.
- A strong personal academic track record and experience of teaching, and leading transformative change using digital technologies in a university setting.
- A proven experience of delivering digital transformation projects.
- A detailed understanding of the current trends in digital education, and experience in liaising with government and higher education bodies.
- Experience of developing and delivering leading-edge educational initiatives and technologies.
- A deep understanding of the provision of higher education, online education, and lifelong learning both nationally and internationally.
- Evidence of successful partnership-making working with a broad range of stakeholders, including enthusiasm for successful engagement with staff, researchers, students and external partners.
- The ability to think strategically and provide visionary leadership, contributing to the wider leadership of the university and the delivery of its Strategic Plan.
- Experience in managing change effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Interested candidates can send their CV