|Location||Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa|
Admin & Office
The University of Cape Town is a leading South African university constantly engaged with its legacy and the promise of a transformed society captured in its Vision 2030. This vision is embodied in the University’s massive transformative purpose: “unleash human potential to create a just and fair society”.
The Centre for Higher Education Development (CHED) is an integral part of the realisation of Vision 2030.
UCT is looking for a leader in the field of educational development to consolidate and build the work of the CHED. CHED has built a national and international reputation in the area of educational development over two decades and it is currently refocusing its work to respond to the new challenges of teaching and learning in South Africa, the continent and globally in the 21st Century. These new challenges include working in partnership with UCT’s Faculties in the ongoing decolonisation of the curriculum and harnessing the full potential of digitally-enabled learning and teaching.
Reporting to the DVC for Teaching and Learning, the dean will be responsible for the conceptualization of
the work of CHED and providing support to all faculties in the implementation of UCT Teaching and Learning
Strategy in the context of Vision 2030. As part of the senior management group of the University, he/she
will contribute to the strategic and operational leadership of the University as a whole.
The dean’s responsibilities will include:
- To provide intellectual, relational and strategic leadership to CHED through the integration of the
work of all CHED’s departments.
- To support the DVC Teaching and Learning in the leadership and implementation of UCT’s Teaching
and Learning Strategy.
- To promote the development of high-quality teaching and learning across disciplinary fields at the
university, including providing oversight of initiatives to develop and apply digitally-enhanced
learning and teaching.
- To support the transformation and decolonization of the curriculum in collaboration with all faculties.
- To identify, engage in and have oversight of key areas of scholarship and research on teaching and
learning for CHED.
- To have oversight for the development of a coherent approach towards institutional projects focused
on the transformation and professional development of the academic staff.
- To lead and facilitate data-driven and evidence-based improvements in teaching and learning
support and practices.
- To ensure CHED’s adherence to governance, administrative and financial management processes
accepted at UCT.
- A PhD as a minimum academic qualification and a record of academic achievement in teaching and
learning, and research at the associate/professor level.
- Recognized as an authority and a thought-leader in the field of educational development.
- Demonstrated understanding of the local and international higher education landscape.
- Demonstrated knowledge of South African higher education policy.
- A record of experience in curricular review in relation to contextual challenges.
- A proven transformation record and a commitment to social justice.
- A record of experience of financial and HR management within higher education.
Interested candidates can send their CV
To apply, please e-mail the below documents (ideally in a single pdf file) to Mr Craig Alexander
- a covering letter which addresses the above criteria, including a statement on your potential
contribution as Dean
- your full curriculum vitae with the names and contact details of three referees.
- the HR204 application form for Senior Executive Posts available at: