|Location||Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa|
The CRF Coordinator and Advocacy Officer is responsible for managing
CIVICUS’ strategic relationship with donors and members of the Life Line
Consortium, for overseeing applications for the CRF and working with the
CIVICUS finance team and Advocacy Lead to provide timely financial and
narrative reports. The CRF Lead will oversee the administration of CRF grants
and lead CIVICUS advocacy on a regional and thematic area of focus. They
should also be able to make strategic connections between CRF grants,
regional and thematic advocacy and other CIVICUS clusters and projects
- Contribute to the development of CIVICUS’ advocacy and campaigning
strategies and ensure their implementation at international, regional and
- Coordinate CIVICUS’ Lifeline Embattled CSO Fund activities which provide
strategic advocacy assistance and solidarity to civil society organisations
and human rights defenders operating in highly restrictive environments
- Facilitate and support CIVICUS’ members and partners in their advocacy
and campaigning activities;
- Manage the administration of CRF grants, review applications and provide
timely narrative and financial reports to donors
- Provide strategic guidance on the CRF activities and their alignment to
other clusters at CIVICUS, providing input and guidance on the Fund’s
activities and areas of amplification in alignment with the strategic
objectives of the organization.
- Manage and mentor CRF administrator and support him/her/them in the
implementation of CRF objectives;
- Provide oversight and guidance to the CRF Team (including the Advocacy
Officer and CRF Administrator) on priorities of the Lifeline Fund and work
processes to effectively administer the grant.
- Carry out critical research and analysis of policy debates and political
developments at the global, regional and national levels on civic space
issues with a view to crafting organisational positions, advocacy strategies,
briefing papers, statements, opinion pieces and editorials;
- Develop and implement dissemination plans on knowledge products to
ensure wide outreach and uptake in policy, advocacy and activism circles
with the CIVICUS membership, partners and policymakers.
- Lead advocacy initiatives and campaigns aimed at addressing restrictions
on civic space in countries around the world;
- Engage with CIVICUS’ external stakeholders on advocacy strategies to
protect and expand civic space in multi-lateral institutions and
- Take the Lead in one thematic area of CIVICUS work - preferably on
women human rights defenders and the Middle East/North Africa; and
provide support in this area to CIVICUS and the alliance
- Engage with policy makers and other stakeholders on CIVICUS’ strategic
priorities and represent the organisation in external forums.
- The role holder will from time to time be required to carry out any other
duties that are within the scope of the job.
- All staff will demonstrate CIVICUS values and principles in all their
professional relationships and any interactions that may reflect on CIVICUS
- Master’s degree in international relations, economics, politics, development
studies or a social science discipline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in English and
one other UN language.
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ work experience in civil society sector on human
- At least 2 – 3 years in a coordination role in a similar position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience with MS Office and Human
Resource Information Systems.
- Commitment to CIVICUS’s vision, mission, values and ways of working.
- Demonstrated work experience, pertaining to research, analysis and
advocacy on human rights issue.
- Demonstrated work experience in project coordination in the civil society
- Sound understanding of international affairs, development and civil society
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to work under
pressure and in a multi- cultural setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to manage relationships with
partners and donors
- Experience managing and mentoring colleagues working on the CRF
- Budget management skills and ability to produce lengthy donor financial
and narrative reports
- Experience in managing and supervising colleagues
- Good understanding of global civil society dynamics with good knowledge
of civic space issues in one region
Interested candidates can send their CV